Elegant alpine & lakeside stays.
There are few settings more beautiful than the lakefront location of Whare Kea Lodge near Wanaka. Perched on a headland overlooking spectacular Lake Wanaka, in the lower South Island, Whare Kea offers a luxurious stay in contemporary surroundings. In summer the lodge is surrounded by sunny mountain and lake views, farmland and sweeping plantings of native trees. In winter the landscape sparkles with icy morning frosts, snow-covered peaks and sombre lake views. It is a place of two faces.
Whare Kea is a short drive from the alpine town of Wanaka, surrounded by outdoor activities, world-class fly fishing for trout, and some of the best winter skiing in New Zealand at the Treble Cone and Cardrona ski areas. It is also close to the beautiful Mt Aspiring National Park, one of New Zealand’s more challenging alpine regions where the options range from moderate day walks to full-on mountaineering at altitude and heli-skiing. The lodge has a full service day spa offering a range of body, beauty and massage treatments.
Whare Kea is now an exclusive-stay lodge for a maximum of 12 people in two master suites and four deluxe bedrooms. Five of these can be made up as twins. It is the ideal place for an extended family stay, a wedding group or a corporate retreat. A chef is available to cook beautiful food for guests (extra to the rate).
One of the highlights of a stay at Whare Kea is the opportunity to stay at The Chalet – an architecturally designed alpine chalet high in the mountains above the lake, and New Zealand’s only private accommodation in a national park. Sitting at 1750 metres (5,700 feet) it can be reached by a 20 minute helicopter flight from the Whare Kea helipad. Once there guests can enjoy an amazing mountain getaway in real New Zealand high country, far removed from civilisation. It is a fantastic opportunity to enjoy a true mountain environment.
- lodge accommodation is in two Master Suites, four Deluxe Rooms and the 3-bdm Alpine Chalet
- the Master Suites have king or twin beds, walk-in wardrobe and private ensuite, writing desk, couch, wifi and access to balcony with lounge chairs
- the Deluxe Rooms have king/twin beds, walk-in wardrobe, private ensuite, writing desk, wifi and access to the balcony with outdoor furniture
- bathrooms have heated floors, walk-in double-headed showers and separate deep baths
- the Alpine Chalet has two double bedrooms, a spacious loft, a washroom and separate WC, and a bunk room for staff. A Chalet stay is fully catered and staff are on hand to host you
The Main Lodge
- The Lodge has three lounge spaces, one with a large open fire
- decor throughout uses a simple Scandinavian palette, with lots of glass and polished wooden floors
- the lodge also has a bar, dining area, and a games room with a billiard table and TV
- there are several landscaped outdoor dining areas and a private spa pool in the grounds, overlooking the lake
- The Chalet is an architecturally designed alpine ‘hut’ high in the mountains in the Mt Aspiring National Park
- although not large it is very comfortable, with central heating, a full kitchen and steaming hot showers
- there are two double guest bedrooms and a guest loft; a staff bunk room allows room for two staff to stay on site
- the chalet has decks on all four sides and a helipad for easy arrivals and departures
- it is also available for picnics and day adventures
Whare Kea Lodge offers an exclusive stay only, so you and your companion or group will be the only guests at the lodge. It is an ideal stay for a small group stay, a wedding, a select business meeting or extended family group.
The lodge is a 6 bedroom luxury stay for up to 12 guests. Your stay can be self-catering, you may choose to eat out in nearby Wanaka, or a private chef can be arranged. A full kitchen is provided for your use.
5 night minimum stay with rates starting at $NZ 4,600 per night.
Rates for the Alpine Chalet POA
- Wanaka is an outdoor playground with snow sports in winter and plenty of other activities to choose from in summer
- the Central Otago region is well known for its world-class wines and wineries
- there are vast areas of national park and wilderness areas nearby allowing plenty of hiking, bird-watching and exploring
- there is also excellent boating, cycling and kayaking close by and world-class fly fishing for trout
- a stay at the Alpine Chalet takes you in to a fantastic high country environment seldom visited as a luxury stay