Between the ocean and the mountains.
Sitting quietly in lush farmland and surrounded by grove of olives and rolling lawns it's easy to forget that Hapuku Lodge in fact lies on a narrow strip of coastal land wedged between the towering mountains of the Seaward Kaikoura Range and the temperate waters of the southern Pacific Ocean. This is whale watching territory, and guests come from around to see the mighty sperm whales that live along this fascinating coastline. Add in the seals and dolphins, the long hikes up to vast views, and the local food attractions like fresh crayfish (lobsters), venison and cheeses, and you can easily spend a few days relaxing in this beautiful spot.
Accommodation is split between very comfortable conventional rooms in the main lodge, a 3 bedroom house that can be taken exclusively, or split, and a line of very funky luxury tree houses that sit up like meerkats, watching over the ocean out front and the mountains behind. There is also excellent fishing and hunting, surfing, diving and snorkelling, nature tours, mountain biking and Maori cultural experiences to round out the options.
- there are 5 very contemporary tree houses perched in a grove of native kanuka trees. Three offer 1 bedroom stays and the other two have 2 bedrooms and are suitable for families. All have a stunning view from the mountains to the sea, a free-standing wood fire and a memorable bathroom
- there are 4 lodge rooms and suites available - all are beautifully appointed and have lovely views out across farmland to the mountains. Each has a large tub, balcony and kingbird. The two suites have a lounge area as well, and the Hapuku Room also has a fireplace and private entrance
- the Olive House is a self-contained suite of three bedrooms - two upstairs and one down. The whole house can be occupied by a family or group, or the top and bottom floors can be used separately
The Main Lodge
- the lodge is part of a large working farm, running mostly deer, which has its roots right back in the early times European settlement in the Kaikoura area
- much of the timber used in the construction was sustainably produced or recycled from old buildings. Hand-crafted wooden furniture features throughout the property
- the chef sources as much food as possible from local growers and the lodge also has a large organic vegetable garden and greenhouse supplying fresh food all year
- there is an outdoor pool and jacuzzi, indoor and outdoor dining and an easy walk to the beach
- rates are per room per night (twin share) and include accommodation, 3-course dinner and full breakfast.
- Lodge rooms are $NZ 966 - 1,027 for 2 people
- Lodge Suites are $NZ 1,150 - 1,323 for 2 people
- 1 bdm Tree House is $NZ 1,265 - 1,438 for 2 people
- 2 bdm Tree House is $NZ 1,495- 1,906 for 4 people
- Olive House suite is $NZ 3,565 - 4,543 for 4 people
- additional people are extra
- with the ocean and the mountains so close there is an incredible number of options nearby
- take a whale watch trip from nearby Kaikoura. This is a fabulous trip where you will learn as much about the local area and Maori culture as you will about the whales.
- or join a Maori cultural tour and learn local stories traditions and experiences
- or watch the seals off the peninsula. Take an albatross tour or a fishing trip
- there are mountain biking and hiking trails throughout the nearby mountains
- take a sea kayak trip to see dolphins, seals and penguins (if they're around)
- half and full day small boat fishing trips leave from Kaikoura