Explore Canterbury & the Southern Alps.
Built in 1895 for Sir Heaton Rhodes, one of New Zealand’s early parliamentarians and a man with a reputation for being a great benefactor and philanthropist, Otahuna is one the country’s largest private residences.
Built in the Queen Anne style of the day, with large verandahs, a double-storey tower and impressive, multiple gables, it is a commanding building set in equally beautiful grounds. An elegant, authentic refurbishment has restored the home to its early grandeur and the added luxurious touches have brought it into a league of its own – it is an unforgettable place to visit and to stay. All the senses are satisfied.
Every room has been lovingly crafted with sumptuous fabrics, luxurious furnishings and authentic trimmings. Gleaming native timbers, a striking curved staircase and period artworks complete the look – walking in the front door is like crossing the threshold into another world.
Guest suites are generous in size, the largest having four rooms including a lounge area and study. Both master suites have large verandahs and all the bathrooms are elegant in white. Furnishings reflect the Victorian era of the house and match the style and scale of the design. The lodge kitchen is always open to guests and delivers exquisite cuisine. The vast garden surrounding Otahuna is listed as a ‘Garden of National Significance’ and can be viewed with the owners or head gardener. Much of the kitchen produce is grown on site.
Despite its deeply rural setting Otahuna is a short drive from central Christchurch and all that the city offers. It is also only an hour from the small, historic harbour town of Akaroa, on Banks Peninsula, two hours from the Southern Alps and an hour from the applauded wine growing area at Waipara.
- there are 7 suites in the lodge – 2 larger Master Suites and 5 luxury suites.
- the largest – the Rhodes Suite – has a spacious bedroom with ornate timber fireplace, separate lounge and a study, with a private balcony
- the second master suite – the Verandah Suite – has a generous bedroom, large verandah and fabulous bathroom with free-standing central bath
- the other 5 suites also feature ornate timber work and lavish white bathrooms. Most have a fireplace, several have a separate lounge area and the Butler Suite also has two bathrooms.
- all suites have superb quality super-king beds, fine linen and full bathrooms
The Main Lodge
- the large entrance hall is the centre of the house, with a comfortable seating area, roaring log fire and impressive curving timber staircase
- the drawing room is soft and feminine with light flowing fabrics and generous seating and is a beautiful room to share pre-dinner drinks and mingle with other guests
- there are several dining options including the large ornate dining room, the wine cellar, the lower tower, the verandah spaces, and the country kitchen for breakfast
- dinner is a 5-course chef’s degustation which changes daily depending on the produce and foods available
- Otahuna also has a significant art collection and on-site swimming pool, spa and gym
- Includes accommodation, pre-dinner cocktails, 5 course degustation dinner with wine pairings, full breakfast, laundry service and use of all lodge facilities
- Master Suites – $NZ 1,955 - $3,680 for 2 people per night twin share, $NZ 1,667 - $3,392 single
- Suites – $NZ 1,495 - $3,220 for 2 people per night twin share, $NZ 1,207 - $2,932 single
- A $600 + GST surcharge applies per room each night 25 to 31 December inclusive
- cooking classes are available in the lodge kitchen
- the heated swimming pool is open in summer and mountain bikes are available for guests’ use
- the on-site spa and gym are available all year round and guided garden tours are also available
- further afield there is excellent fly fishing in the local rivers, whale and dolphin tours at Kaikoura, thermal springs at Hanmer, the alpine activities and winter skiing at Arthur’s Pass, wine tours at Waipara and an easy day trip to Akaroa on Banks Peninsula
- Lord of the Rings tours into Middle Earth Country are also a great option from Otahuna