Out on the wild west coast.
Westhaven Retreat is one of those special places where the location plays a huge part in the experience of staying there. Perched high on a ridge overlooking Whanganui Inlet and just a whistle from the South Island’s wild west coast it’s a unique spot, three hours west of Nelson at the top of the South Island, and includes 8 kilometres of private Tasman Sea coastline.
Whanganui Inlet is a large body of water opening off the west coast providing good fishing all year round. The southern arm of the inlet is a dedicated marine reserve, which helps to preserve the delicate ecosystem; the greater inlet is an important nursery area for snapper, flatfish, kahawai and the tiny native delicacy, whitebait. Weather permitting, there is excellent open sea fishing along the coast. There are also opportunities nearby for good fly fishing for brown trout in the season from October to April.
With the vast estuarine areas within the curve of Farewell Spit, the wild beauty of nearby Kahurangi National Park and the long indented coastline of Westhaven Inlet there’s a lot of places to explore, and to fish. Other local activities include kayaking, cave tours, Maori flax weaving, llama treks and guided walking tours. Westhaven Retreat also offers a pampering stay with spa, massage and wellness treatments.
- is in five luxury guest rooms and two suites, all enjoying beautiful views of the Whanganui Inlet
- the guest rooms are spacious, with crafted wooden furniture, king-sized beds, verandah seating and ensuites with a jet shower
- the two suites are larger, also with king-sized beds, and with a double spa bath overlooking the inlet
- all rooms and suites have a writing desk, private bar, walk-in wardrobe and a safe
- there is also wi-fi in all the rooms and, despite the remote location, excellent mobile reception
The Main Lodge
- is designed around three octagonal structures, with linking double-storey structures
- it sits high on a ridge above the Whanganui Inlet with commanding views across the landscape
- central to the design is a 24 metre indoor pool
- there are several dining options including a main shared dining area, outdoor dining in summer and more intimate tables for private dining
- the menu changes daily, depending on available local foods, and the cuisine features a European influence and fine local wine selection
- there’s a hydro-therapy spa pool and infra-red sauna onsite with other wellness therapies available on request
- tariff includes pre-dinner drinks, 4-course dinner, breakfast and picnic lunch
- Lodge rooms – $NZ 980 - 1,180 for 2 people
- Lodge suites – $NZ 1,250 - 1,450 for 2 people
- seasonal and package discounts available; please ask us
- children under 10 are unable to stay during the high season - December to April
- Westhaven Retreat sits in a dramatic coastline position overlooking the quiet waters of the Whanganui Inlet
- close to kayaking, fishing, quad bike exploration, guided and freedom hiking, scenic helicopter flights and llama trekking
- spa treatments, massage and wellness therapies, relaxation and pampering stays are available
- guided charter fishing trips are available to all the local fishing grounds including the West Coast, Golden Bay, Tasman Bay and Cook Strait. Weather permitting there is good open sea fishing off-shore
- small group and conference facilities are also available