Wilderness stay and fishing lodge.
Tongariro Lodge oozes history and heritage. Having celebrated its 30th anniversary several years ago, it is one of the country’s most iconic fishing lodges, drawing on these years of experience to offer you a great fishing stay.
Situated in the central North Island, on the banks of the Tongariro River just south of Lake Taupo, Tongariro Lodge is set in 22 acres of beautiful gardens and mature trees. Accommodation is in 2 -5 bedroom villas and 1 bedroom chalets, each with its own private terrace. A quiet spa pool and all-weather tennis court will help fill any non-fishing days. There’s also a private Executive Villa for small group incentive stays or larger family groups. This is very popular.
Outdoor enthusiasts will also enjoy the range of character-building activities available here such as hiking (including the famed alpine Tongariro Crossing), white-water rafting, jet-boating, snow-skiing (in winter), horse trekking, hunting and golf.
The lodge is open all year to make the most of the rainbow and brown trout that patrol the river, and in the 40 other nearby rivers and four lakes. Rainbow trout have an open season all year in the lower river reaches and the lake and brown trout can be fished October to May. It’s a fisherman’s dream.
- guests stay in private 2 – 5 bedroom villas or slightly less expensive 1 bedroom chalets
- villas are a home away from home, with a separate lounge and dining area, bathroom and ensuites and a full kitchen and laundry
- the chalets are the original Tongariro Lodge accommodations, now smartly refurbished, with a separate bedroom, tea and coffee facilities and ensuite
- chalets and villas have private terraces and a pretty garden setting
- king beds and other bedding options available on request
- chalets have a drying cupboard for wet fishing gear
The Main Lodge
- dark timbers, river views, fine food and old photographs set the scene in the main lodge
- sit around the open fire in the main lounge or withdraw to the library for a quieter space
- the lodge is well known for its fine dining, with a superb 4-course a la carte meal served each night
- breakfast and lunch is at your leisure and you can arrange a hamper lunch to take out on the river with you
- DB&B rate includes accommodation, breakfast, pre-dinner canapes and a 3-course dinner
- 1 bedroom chalet $NZ 345.00 p/p twin share; single rate $NZ 480.00
- 2 – 5 bedroom villas $NZ 485.00 p/p twin share; single rate POA
- Executive Villa – $NZ 690.00 p/p twin share
- room only rates are also available on request
- 2 – 7 night fishing packages are available with 1 – 6 days guided fishing included
- Rates start at $NZ 1088 p/p twin share for a 2 night/1 day fishing stay, or $NZ 1755 single
- the lodge is central to a large wilderness area including the Kaimanawa Forest Park and the Tongariro National Park
- these are prime areas for back country hiking and mountain biking in summer. the most well-known is the challenging Tongariro Crossing, which can be done in a day
- rivers offer excellent white water rafting, canyoning and kayaking
- there are two major ski fields on nearby Mt Ruapehu for winter fun
- over 40 rivers and 4 lakes are available to fish, depending on the time of year
- rainbow trout are fished all year and brown trout from October to May (the southern summer)