Fish in the heart of brown trout country.
Owen River Lodge is one of the best fishing lodges in New Zealand to stay if you’re passionate about fishing for brown trout, with a fabulous number of rivers and streams within an easy drive. This boutique lodge is small and intimate, with a maximum of 12 guests at any one time. Accommodation is in six beautifully appointed garden cottages, each with a view of the Owen River valley and nearby granite escarpments of the Kahurangi National Park. This is big country.
There are over 25 excellent fishing rivers and streams to choose from within a 90 minute drive including the Maruia, Buller and Motueka Rivers, and many more that are accessible by helicopter. As the owner says, “You may have heard New Zealand’s rivers described as being “Gin Clear” – well it’s true! Imagine stalking a 10lb brown trout in water, so clear, that what looks 12 inches deep is actually up to your waist!”
Owen River Lodge is at the northern end of the South Island and is a 90 minute drive south of Nelson along State Highway 6, with the last 2 kilometres on easy gravel road. It is close to the Nelson and Marlborough wine regions and all the attractions of these two beautiful areas. The small town of Murchison is just 15 minutes to the south.
- six double/twin cottages in the garden, each opening onto a sunny deck
- cottages are fitted with native timber flooring, neutral colours and big comfy armchairs
- top of the range king-size beds (all rooms can be king or 2 king singles) and crisp white bedding
- ensuite bathrooms are also of native timbers and are well-sized
- tea/coffee making area, fridge and home baking in each cottage
- very quiet surroundings and rooms are screened for the sandflies
The Main Lodge
- large central lounge/dining area with an open kitchen
- big shared dining table overlooking the river for those wonderful table d’hote dinners and early breakfasts
- excellent wine selection
- quiet evening bar/TV/internet room away from the main dining/lounge area
- hot spa pool in the garden
- deck platform down by the river for evening cocktails or a quiet coffee
- large organic vege garden providing much of the lodge’s fresh produce
- the lodge has the highest environmental sustainability rating available in NZ
- Includes accommodation in a luxury guest cottage suite, all meals i.e. pre-dinner drinks and canapés , a 3-course dinner, cooked English breakfast, picnic lunch, house wine, beer, wi-fi and the use of all lodge facilities including fly fishing equipment
- Cottage Suite accommodation $NZ 645 - $845 per person, per night – twin share
- Cottage Suite accommodation $NZ 825 - $1,045 per night for a single occupancy guest
- 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7-night fly fishing packages available from $NZ 2,670 pp twin share for a 3 night package, with 2 days guided fishing
- Single fisherman 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7-night fly fishing packages available from $NZ 4,065 pp for a 3 night package, with 2 days guided fishing
- minimum 3 night stay policy; children under 12 are welcome by prior arrangement
- close to the massive Kahurangi National Park and the Nelson Lakes National Park, with some quite demanding hiking and mountain trails close by
- the area is known as the white water capital of New Zealand with serious kayaking and white water rafting on local rivers
- the New Zealand Kayak School is 15 minutes down the road and offers courses throughout the summer months
- a short drive to two alpine lakes - Lake Rotoiti and Lake Rotoroa - both offer shorter or multi-day hikes and a chance to experience the alpine country of the South Island
- there is access to 23 rivers within a 60 minute drive; also good lake fishing as close as 20 minutes drive
- top fishing guides available (max of 2 people with each guide) and fishing is mainly sighted fishing for brown trout in crystal clear water
- there's a well stocked tackle room with superior Simms wet gear, waders and boots, Sage rods and reels, and Lamson reels.