Stay deep in a World Heritage Area.
The drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound should give you a good idea of the staggering beauty you will be surrounded by when you spend a night or two at Milford Sound Lodge. From the rich verdant rainforest on the inland side of the Homer Tunnel to the towering vertical heights of the mountains framing the Cleddau Valley on the seaward side of the tunnel it's an inspiring place to be.
Milford Sound is a 4 - 5 hour drive from Queenstown, although you could take all day, stopping at the drop-dead gorgeous scenic high points along the way. So to maximise your time there it's well worth considering an overnight stay, or preferably two. Milford Sound Lodge is the only accommodation option in Milford Sound, so it's an obvious choice. Options start with camper van parks, moving through to backpacker dorms and private spaces. Then there's a big step up to the Mountain View Chalets, and finally the luxury Riverside Chalets, which have fabulous views and beautiful 4 star accommodation.
- we recommend a stay in the luxurious Mountain View or Riverside Chalets
- all chalets have a super king bed or 2 king singles, and a fold-out queen-size sofa bed
- ensuite bathroom and underfloor heating
- the Mountain View Chalets have a fridge-freezer and tea/coffee facilities
- the Riverside Chalets have a kitchenette with fridge-freezer, microwave and toaster
The Main Lodge
- the Pio Pio Cafe has good dining options for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- even in this wilderness setting there are delicious vegetarian and wheat & gluten free options available
- there’s a guest lounge with satellite wifi available (there is a charge for this and service is limited)
- there’s also a guest kitchen if you want to self-cater, although you’ll need to shop in Te Anau before heading through to Milford as there are no real shopping options in the area
- Rates are room only, per night. Meals are available on-site or down at the local cafe. There is also a guest kitchen if you want to self-cater
- Riverside Chalets – Oct – April $NZ 535.00, May – Sept $NZ 455.00. $NZ 30 per extra adult
- Mountain View Chalets – Oct – April $NZ 485.00, May – Sept $NZ 405.00. $NZ 30 per extra adult
- Dorm rooms and powered camp sites are also available
- Milford Sound is in the heart of the Fiordland National Park so there are endless short and multi-day hiking options
- These include the Milford, Greenstone, Routeburn, Caples and Hollyford Tracks, all accessed off the Milford Road
- Fly fishing for trout is a great option for beginners and experienced fishermen
- Join a day or overnight cruise on Milford Sound (an overnight cruise can be a first or final night stay in the area). Cruises may visit sky-high waterfalls, an underwater observatory and lots of nature experiences
- Other experiences include scenic flights and sea kayaking
- The lodge also provides a complimentary shuttle to the start/end of the Milford Track or to the Boat Harbour if you’re taking a cruise