A gem on Lake Wakatipu.
Blanket Bay is the cherry on the cake as far as South Island fishing lodges go. Situated on a commanding site at the top end of beautiful Lake Wakatipu it enjoys spectacular alpine views and is surrounded by high mountains and deep rugged valleys.
Built of local stone and solid hardwood timbers no expense has been spared to give guests a fabulous stay. The main lodge is built around a 10 metre high Great Room that looks over the turquoise blue lake to the Humboldt Mountains beyond. Lodge rooms and suites open off each end, and there are a further four suites in the garden Chalets.
The fishing is excellent, with wild brown and rainbow trout and salmon in the lake and nearby rivers. The lodge is 45 minutes from Queenstown, which is also the nearest airport. In addition to fly-fishing and heli-fishing there is also hiking, skiing and horse riding nearby and the highly regarded Otago wineries are just an hour’s drive away.
- there are 5 beautiful Lodge Rooms and 3 Lodge Suites in the main lodge, and 4 Chalet Suites - all are fitted out to the highest standard with elegant furnishings and super-size beds
- Lodge Rooms have a balcony, an armoire, and ensuites with double vanities, shower and bath. Lodge Suites have a separate sitting area, balcony, stone fireplace, steam shower and bath
- Chalet Suites have private courtyard, stone fireplace, steam shower and separate bath. Chalet Staterooms have a full suite and adjoining lounge area, 2 courtyards and 2 fireplaces
- all rooms have wi-fi and i-pod docking stations
The Main Lodge
- the Great Room has big views across the lake and intimate corners to withdraw
- spend time here socialising, sitting by the fire or enjoying pre-dinner drinks
- relax over a brandy in the Den
- the Games Room has a pool table, shuffle board, TV lounge and self-serve bar
- downstairs the Health Centre has steam rooms, spa pool and a gym
- the a la carte menu changes daily and the cuisine is highly regarded
- meals can be taken in the dining room, in the Wine Cave or outside on the verandah
- scrumptious lunch hampers are available for fishing days
- rates are per room and include pre-dinner drinks, breakfast, dinner and use of lodge facilities
- Lodge Rooms double/twin $NZ 1150 - 1828; single $NZ 891 - 1570
- Lodge Suites double/twin $NZ 1725 - 2700; single $NZ 1466 - 2443
- Chalet Suites double/twin $NZ 1725 - 2700; single $NZ 1466 - 2443
- Chalet Staterooms double/twin $NZ 2415 - 3392; single $NZ 2156 - 3133
- there is excellent fishing for wild brown and rainbow trout in the local rivers November through to May. There is also good fishing on the lake all year round for trout and quinnat salmon.
- heli-fishing is world-class, with the vast river valleys of Fiordland right on the doorstep
- heli-hiking is also a favourite, with access to the many walks and hiking trails in the Fiordland wilderness area
- locally there is also kayaking, jet-boating, Lord of the Rings tours, horse trekking, golf, the famous Otago wineries, and heli-skiing in winter